August 4, 2013

DIY Inspiration: Washi Tape

My washi tape from Daiso (RM 5 per set). Daiso is a massive franchise of 100-yen shops, and its stores are available worldwide.

I love inspiration hunting, even more so when you find an absolutely brilliant DIY idea or life hack (I'm quite a "hands-on" person). This time, I'm eyeing washi tape, something you may have encountered if you spend some time on Pinterest, Etsy, or any other DIY/craft blog.

Washi tape, as its name indicates, originates from Japan, and is in essence masking/sticky tape that is patterned. Made from natural fibers such as bamboo and hemp, or the bark of native Japanese trees, washi tape is as strong as duct tape, besides being pretty and great for decorative use.

So you've got your rolls of washi tape in hand; where can you start decorating?


The amazingly fun and creative lifestyle site Brit + Co. has some great washi tape ideas. If you know your keyboard by heart, why not washi it so that work becomes less taxing because you have something pretty to look at?


Just grab some washi tape and tape away to decorate your dinner party table. Loving the golden egg placeholders. I think I might do this for my moving-out party.



Interior decorating and home DIY projects site Shelterness takes washi tape decorating to a new level with this picture below. That takes some serious dedication:


I can't wait to try them out! I think I'll start with my iPhone case (will have to get myself a plain white case, or the translucent tape patterns won't show).

What about you? What unique washi tape ideas do you think could work?

Images:
Brit + Co.: here, here.
Shelterness: here.

9 comments:

  1. Do I want to inviest 80 dollars for washi tapes? Thoughts? Have you found some there that are cheaper or do you want some from here? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, probably not 80 dollars! Mine were HKD 20 for all the tape you see in the photo; I'll bring them back to HK. OH. We can washi our lousy Apple charger cords!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get me some please! The ones I saw were 80 hkd for 3 actually but I doubt I'll be using them much but I do want some :s

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try to find different patterns so we can mix :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these ! Did you get them in Malysia ? Beautiful blog by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Joanna! Yes, I got them at Daiso... two different Daiso outlets (AEON Station 18 in Ipoh, and KL Paradigm Mall) haha to feed my washi tape appetite.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! washi tape! May I know how much is it from Daiso malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Samantha, it's RM 5 for a set of 3 rolls! Go crazy buying :)

      Delete